Responsible for the various patient care activities and related services necessary in caring for the personal needs and comfort of the patient. Performs duties in accordance with established methods and techniques, conforming to recognized standards of care. This position is considered a safety-sensitive position.
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES AND RESPOSIBILITIES:
Assist patient with activities of daily living, such as bathing, hand washing, oral, nail & hair care as needed.
Maintain bed and room in a clean and orderly fashion.
Take and report vital signs and weights as ordered.
Collect and document data for intake and output.
Assisting and preparing patients for meals, including feeding patients.
Assist nursing staff as requested to collect specimens and prepare for procedures.
Assisting with elimination via urinals, bedpans, bowel and/or bladder programs.
Making beds both occupied and unoccupied.
Answer call lights & phone promptly and in a courteous and helpful manner.
Providing measures of comfort and convenience water, blankets, etc
Maintaining inventory of patient belongings.
Assisting in admission, transfer and discharge of patients.
Transferring and ambulating patients
Apply hot/cold packs, special restraints or binders as directed by primary nurse.
Apply knowledge of special practices in the care of patients pre- and post-operatively and for patients in isolation.
Assisting with post mortem care.
Perform & document newborn Hearing Screens in accordance with established methods.
Ensuring equipment is in proper working order and cleaned after patient use and returned to clean utility Keeping halls free of equipment and clutter.
Communicating to licensed staff regarding any changes in patient's condition.
Performs other job duties as assigned.
1. EDUCATION High School Graduate or Equivalent.
2. LICENSURE Must have a valid drivers license.
Certificate of completion from approved CNA school.
Satisfactory completion of standardized competency exam upon hire & annually.
3. EXPERIENCE Knowledge of hospital and departmental policies and procedure as gained through orientation.
4. SKILLS Must be capable of communicating clearly (reading, writing and speaking) in the English Language.
Must be capable of operating an IBM compatible personal computer with Microsoft Office and the Internet.
Must be capable of reading and comprehending written, policies, procedures laws and regulation.
Familiar with equipment, tools, and work aids used in the delivery of patient care within the designated departments worked.
5. INTERPERSONAL SKILLS Maintain positive relationships among staff, physicians and ancillary personnel; interact with patients and visitors.
6. PHYSICAL EFFORT Able to handle a fluctuating workload
Physical Demand Level: Heavy
• In an 12-hour workday, must be able to lift/carry:
50 to 100 pounds occasionally
25 to 50 pounds frequently
10 to 20 pounds constantly
As required, must be able to :
Sit, Stand, Walk, Bend, Squat, Kneel, Crawl, Climb and Reach above shoulders
Push and Pull
Perform fine motor functions
Must possess functional vision, hearing, and speech in order to communicate effectively with clients, client advocates and staff
7. HOURS OF WORK Varied 12 hr shifts
8. HAZARDS The employee works in an environment with biological, chemical and mechanical hazards. The employer will provide appropriate training, protective equipment and engineering controls for the protection and safety of the employee.
As a condition of employment, the employee is required to abide by all DMH policies and risk management regulations including the proper use of protective devices and procedures.
As a condition of employment, the employee will be required to demonstrate competence in DMH safety and security procedures.
9. COMPETENCE FOR SPECIFIC PATIENT POPULATION:
Demonstrate knowledge and skills to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients. Cognizant of ethical and legal issues inherent in providing care for patients of all ages.
The ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
Shift : Day
Kim Snow - CNO
Chief Nursing Officer