RN Med Surg Nights
Required to successfully complete orientation and training for all patient care areas as needed to meet the needs of this organization. Patient care areas include: Medical Surgical Floor, Labor and Delivery, Nursery & Emergency Department. Performs the primary functions of a professional nurse leader in assessing, planning, directing and evaluating patient care. Manages all personnel, supplies and equipment of the units. Promotes teamwork in assigning and delivering patient care. Exhibits critical thinking skills in nursing judgment as pertaining to patient status and supervision of patient care. This position is considered a safety-sensitive position.
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES AND RESPOSIBILITIES:
Direct Patient Care
Assesses health status of patients during the shift; Collects data in a comprehensive manner, maintains confidentiality of patient health information and communicates appropriately to other disciplines involved in the care of the patient.
Establishes implements and/or evaluates current plan of care for each patient based on scientific knowledge Provides identified educational needs to patients.
Cognizant of ethical and legal issues inherent in providing care for patients of all ages.
Exhibits the ability to prudently prioritize delivery of patient care.
Promotes and practices standards of care in delivery of nursing care.
Applies physiologic and psychosocial concepts of nursing in administering, supervising and evaluating care of the patient.
Supervision/Assignment of Staff
Assess the number and skill level of personnel needed to provide quality patient care; recognizes need for adjustment and makes assignments appropriate to identified needs if appropriate.
Evaluates the delivery or nursing care, identifying response and outcomes and acting on same in a prudent manner.
Demonstrates the ability to identify and resolve conflict constructively.
Holds self and staff accountable for delivery of quality patient care.
Directs and assists constructively with the orientation of new employees.
Document all components of nursing care delivered legibly and prudently prior to end of shift.
Interact efficiently and pleasantly with other departments, physicians, peers and vendors to assure continuity of quality patient care and to promote an environment conducive to teamwork.
Attends mandatory monthly in-service meetings as well as annual skills fair.
Participates and is cooperative in performance improvement as related to nursing service and allied health.
Plans and develops self-objectives in conjunction with performance evaluation and improvement
JOB SPECIFICATIONS: DESCRIPTION
1. EDUCATION Graduate of an accredited school of nursing, RN program; BSN preferred
2. LICENSURE Must have a valid license to practice nursing as a RN in the state of Arkansas
Must have a valid Driverâ��s License
Current Healthcare Provider CPR; ACLS, PALS & NRP certifications, or must obtain within 12 months
3. EXPERIENCE Knowledge of hospital and departmental policies and procedures as gained through orientation
4. SKILLS Must be capable of communicating clearly (reading, writing and speaking) in the English Language.
Must be capable of operating an IBM compatible personal computer with Microsoft Office and the Internet.
Must be capable of reading and comprehending written, policies, procedures laws and regulation.
Familiar with equipment, tools, and work aids used in the delivery of patient care within the designated departments worked.
5. INTERPERSONAL SKILLS Maintain positive relationships among staff, physicians and ancillary personnel; interact with patients and visitors
6. PHYSICAL EFFORT Able to handle a fluctuating workload
Physical Demand Level: Heavy
â�¢ In an 8-hour workday, must be able to lift/carry:
50 to 100 pounds occasionally
ï�§ 25 to 50 pounds frequently
ï�§ 10 to 20 pounds constantly
As required, must be able to :
ï�§ Sit, Stand, Walk, Bend, Squat, Kneel, Crawl, Climb and Reach above shoulders
ï�§ Push and Pull
ï�§ Perform fine motor functions
Must possess functional vision, hearing, and speech in order to communicate effectively with clients, client advocates and staff
7. HOURS OF WORK Varied 12 hr shifts
8. HAZARDS The employee works in an environment with biological, chemical and mechanical hazards. The employer will provide appropriate training, protective equipment and engineering controls for the protection and safety of the employee.
As a condition of employment, the employee is required to abide by all DMH policies and risk management regulations including the proper use of protective devices and procedures.
As a condition of employment, the employee will be required to demonstrate competence in DMH safety and security procedures.
9. COMPETENCE FOR SPECIFIC PATIENT POPULATION: Demonstrate knowledge and skills to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients. Cognizant of ethical and legal issues inherent in providing care for patients of all ages.
The ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
Employees who have legally obtained a prescription for medical marijuana, cannot use marijuana at work or come to work â��under the influenceâ�� & must not be in possession of marijuana while on hospital property.
10. INFECTION CONTROL: Be knowledgeable in infection prevention and control measures
Shift : Night
VALERIE RUSSWORM - MED SURG MANAGER