Emergency Department Manager
Leads and facilitates the provision of excellent, safe, evidence-based, efficient patient and family centered care. Supports and models the vision, mission and values of DMH and translates those effectively to caregivers. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, unit based goal setting, program development, fiscal management, resource allocation, standards of care, policy and procedure development and interpretation, human resource development, performance improvement and maintenance of interdisciplinary collaborative relationships. Responsible for attaining and maintaining adherence to regulatory standards. Assumes 24-hour accountability for managing, supervising and coordinating the operational and financial effectiveness and efficiency of the nursing services/unit of the hospital as well as other job duties as assigned. Assures presence of a supportive and healthy work environment that promotes retention and embraces diversity. This position is considered a safety-sensitive position.
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES AND RESPOSIBILITIES:
• Assures safe patient care in the ED by articulating, educating to and managing to evidence-based, patient safety practices completely and consistently
• Assures caregivers’ consistent use of patient identification and medication verification processes
• Assures caregivers’ safe, patient centered hand-offs as evidenced by bedside report, including patient and family in communication as appropriate
• Assures caregivers perform real-time documentation in the electronic medical record to the extent possible and data essential for timely, accurate patient billing
• Participating in development of the annual operating budget and capital budget requests clearly articulating anticipated needs
• Demonstrating knowledge of and demonstrating continuous quality improvement within service areas
• Demonstrating systems thinking and applying the “big picture” view across the organization
• Demonstrating sound decision making and problem solving skills
• Demonstrating strategic management skills, including project management, meeting defined timelines and communication and presentation skills
• Demonstrating human resource leadership skills, including caregiver recruitment and on-boarding, development, coaching and mentoring, performance management (including timely completion of performance evaluations) and succession planning
• Demonstrating relationship management skills, including communication skills, self-awareness, understanding of team dynamics and conflict management
• Demonstrating ethical behavior and clinical practice
• Collaborates with the CNO & other department managers regarding unit goals to ensure excellence in patient care for the population of patients served on the designated unit and in supporting the patient placement guidelines
• Oversee the day-to-day operations of assigned nursing unit to assure adequate staff, supplies & equipment is available to provide quality nursing care
• Monitor and evaluate appropriate care and standards of care
• Collaborates with other nursing units to ensure safe patient hand-offs and effective sharing of staff resources
• Maintain a daily, ongoing process with the Case Management team to ensure that all patients are receiving all required services available
• Fosters flow of information within the unit regarding projects, professional practice expectations, standards for clinical practice, staffing guidelines, new equipment/updated processes, unit goals, etc.
• Hold monthly staff meetings to include staff education, patient standards and quality improvement process findings
• Maintain open communication channels for all staff to promote teamwork within the unit
• Participate in departmental Quality Improvement and Assurance activities by providing goals, benchmarks or thresholds on a monthly basis. Provide staff with findings and education regarding quality deficiencies or needs.
• Assist with other leadership duties/projects in the absence of other unit managers
• Act as resource to staff regarding established standards, hospital policies and procedures
• Monitors the delivery and coordination of patient care performed on the designated unit
• Notify the physician about situations that require immediate intervention
• Supports effective unit huddles and staff meetings
• Ensures safe handoffs of care and response to emergent situations on the unit
• Provides direct patient care when needed and maintains clinical expertise in the care of specific populations served on the designated unit
• Provide a complete education foundation to each patient and his/her family members prior to discharge
• Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide patient care that is appropriate to the ages of the patients served and provides nursing support as required
• Other duties and responsibilities as necessary for completion of job
• Supports unit practices for on-boarding new staff and recognizing the contributions of all staff
• Provides timely feedback and coaching to those learning new skills, during implementation of new equipment/processes and ongoing to support excellence in patient care
• Supports teamwork and collaboration within the unit based team, with other disciplines, other ancillary departments and with other organizations
• Supports charge nurses and preceptors in fulfilling their roles in support of staff and nursing students.
• Mentors others in effective delegation and prioritization skills
• Collaborates with unit leadership on individual action plans for assessed areas of improvement for unit staff
• Maintaining noise at the lowest possible levels
• Promoting and maintaining a professional environment
• Keeping work areas uncluttered monitoring for cleanliness
• Supporting the team to focus attention on the patient
• Demonstrating professionalism, courtesy, compassion, and respect for others, and holding caregivers responsible for doing the same
• Coordinates and manages all resources necessary to provide optimal nursing care, including availability of staff resources, patient care supplies and automated patient care systems. Effectively manages resources through systems management and coordinates system issues to assure optimal patient care.
• Maintains an optimal level of productivity, based on the coordination of efficient 24-hour staffing and scheduling patterns and labor management standards.
• Acts as a liaison between medical and nursing staffs as necessary.
• Assists with human resources responsibilities for staff which include interviewing and selection of new employees, promotions, staff development, performance evaluations, compensation changes, resolution of employee concerns, corrective actions, terminations, and overall employee morale.
• Evaluates the quality of patient care provided by department staff by using standards of practice, patient outcomes and other quality indicators to include peer review, incident reports, use of policies and procedures, evaluation of equipment, supplies and products; ensures appropriate resources are available for department performance improvement initiatives.
• Develops service strategies and monitors service levels against indicators to demonstrate improvement in customer and patient satisfaction. Coordinates and integrates services with other areas.
• Responsible for attaining and maintaining department's compliance in addition to other regulatory bodies.
• Assists physicians and other departments with development of new services, identifying potential new sources of revenue and/or assisting in the marketing of existing and new programs.
• Assists in resolving patient/family concerns in a timely manner and/or refer appropriate cases to unit leadership
• Responds to practitioner concerns and ensures Chief Nursing Officer is aware
7. HOURS OF WORK Monday-Friday (scheduled for 8hr days), however, hours varied dependent upon staffing and patient census
8. HAZARDS The employee works in an environment with biological, chemical and mechanical hazards. The employer will provide appropriate training, protective equipment and engineering controls for the protection and safety of the employee. As a condition of employment the employee is required to abide by all DMH policies and risk management regulations including the proper use of protective devices and procedures. As a condition of employment, the employee will be required to demonstrate competence in DMH safety and security procedures.
9. COMPETENCE FOR SPECIFIC PATIENT
POPULATION: Demonstrate knowledge and skills to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients. Cognizant of ethical and legal issues inherent to unit
The ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
Employees who have legally obtained a prescription for medical marijuana, cannot use marijuana at work or come to work “under the influence” & must not be in possession of marijuana while on hospital property.
10. INFECTION CONTROL: Be knowledgeable in infection prevention and control measures
Position Type : Full Time
Shift : Day
VALERIE RUSSWORM - MED SURG MANAGER